Portrait of a Graduate
Watch a group of Post Oak graduates any Alumni Night, and a compelling composite emerges. It’s the picture of a whole human being. One prepared to function productively on all levels: intellectual, emotional, social, physical, spiritual. A person ready to participate fully in the world; a willing and able contributor; a self-motivated lifelong learner.
How can you recognize Montessori graduates of The Post Oak School?
- They are comfortable in their own skin. Post Oak grads have grown up in a nurturing culture that encourages self-motivation, independent thinking, and the experience of taking on big challenges—all great preparation for whatever life has in store for them. Such healthy self-acceptance lays the groundwork for honoring differences and practicing tolerance.
- They are lifelong explorers. Taught how to learn, they love (and never stop) learning. The result is strong academic performance long after they leave Post Oak. Gaining knowledge does not feel like a chore;rather, it is the natural, rewarding result of their own curiosity.
- They are fun to be around. Their enthusiasm, civility, and respect for others are contagious. Much of their education has been built on social skills like getting along with and learning from all kinds of people; collaborating to resolve conflicts; and approaching life with open minds and open hearts.
- They have good character. What is valued most in a Post Oak classroom? Responsibility. Cooperation. Compassion. Ethical behavior. Stewardship of their community, the environment, the world. No Post Oak graduate is an island.
- They are Montessorians for life. Most Post Oak graduates stay in touch with their “family” here. They understand, and are happy to talk about, the gifts their education has given them—self-confidence and resourcefulness; enduring relationships; constructive work habits—lessons that never stop shaping who they are and who they hope to be.
A PDF version of a Portrait of a Graduate and Teacher is also available. To discover more about Post Oak's graduates, see "Beyond Post Oak" for high-school and collegiate successes, and "Alumni Stories" for their adult experiences.