- Students: 425, ages 14 months to high school
- Diversity: 42% minority population
- Faculty: 24 classroom teachers, 3 interns, 16 assistants, 8 specialists. Each classroom includes at least one teacher and one assistant. All teachers have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and post-graduate education in the appropriate level of AMI Montessori curriculum. 54% of the current classroom teachers and assistants hold a master’s or doctoral post-graduate degree.
Building & Grounds
- Land: 3.44 acres
- Location: 4600 Bissonnet St. inside Loop 610 in Bellaire, Texas
- Building: Our architecturally distinctive, custom-designed building (52,000 square feet) accommodates 19 classrooms, a library, art studio, music room, gym, child care rooms for Primary and Elementary ages, and playgrounds.
High School Campus
- Land: 1 acre
- Location: 1102 Autrey St. in the Houston Museum District
- Building: a newly renovated glass and masonry building (6,000 square feet) designed to encourage 21st Century learning. Includes science lab and design studio. Location serves as a doorway to the rich resources of the Museum District.
- Independent Schools Association of the Southwest (ISAS)
- Texas Private Schools Association (TPSA)
- International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO)
Professional association memberships
- Association Montessori Internationale (AMI)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- North American Montessori Teachers Association (NAMTA)
- Montessori Administrators Association (MAA)
- Houston Association of Independent Schools (HAIS)
- Independent School Management (ISM)
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- National Business Officers Association (NBOA)
- The school is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
- The annual operating budget is $6.5 million.
- 9% of the budget is devoted to need-based student financial aid.
The Post Oak School has operated continuously since 1963 and is a non-profit corporation. With a faculty and staff of over 80, we provide a culturally diverse student population with a comprehensive Montessori education steeped in AMI Heritage. The Post Oak School is fully accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest (ISAS) and at the high school level, by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO).
Our core curriculum is augmented by specialized offerings (such as art and theater); extracurricular programs; and interscholastic sports. Post Oak serves students from Young Children's Community through High School. The High School opened in the fall of 2012 and will add a grade each year over the following three years.
Fundamental to the Montessori idea is the belief that one’s lifework should have significance both for the individual and for society. To that end, The Post Oak School has cultivated a culture of active, regular community involvement among both students and staff. Our students perform community service as part of their curriculum, and we as a school contribute to the academic community by training teachers, organizing and chairing educational conferences, and hosting respected speakers on a variety of topics.
For details and photographs of the school's grounds, see our campus and facilities page.