Post Oak Campuses
The Bissonnet Campus is home to the Young Children's Community (starting at 14 months) through Elementary (grades 1 to 6). The school occupies a 3.44-acre lot on the corner of Bissonnet and Avenue B in Bellaire, a suburb of Houston, Texas, the fourth-largest city in the United States. The city's main loop highway, I-610, passes nearby, allowing easy access to and from the rest of the urban area. Many students come from Bellaire and the nearby communities of Southside Place, West University, and River Oaks; others travel from as far afield as Katy, Sugar Land, Pearland, Humble, or Spring.
The school building was custom-built in 1986, with extensive remodeling and additions in several phases, the last in 2016. The approximately 55,000 square feet of indoor space includes 17 classrooms, a library, music room, art studio, and administrative offices. The gym provides a home for the school's Bearkats athletics team. The outdoor environment and playground were renovated in 2008. Each classroom offers a full set of AMI-approved Montessori materials and custom furniture appropriate for the ages of students working in that environment. All classrooms have exterior windows or skylights, and many have their own gardens, allowing easy and immediate access to the outdoor environment. The school is also invested in being environmentally responsible.
- Programs: Early Childhood through Grade 6
- Land: 3.44 acres
- Location: Inside Loop 610 in Bellaire, Texas
- Building: Our architecturally distinctive, custom-designed building (55,000 square feet) accommodates 17 classrooms, a library, art studio, theatre/performance space, gym, before- and after-school spaces for Primary and Elementary students, playgrounds, and gardens.
4600 Bissonnet Street
Bellaire, Texas 77401
Museum District Campus
Post Oak's High School and Middle School are located at the corner of Montrose and Autrey Street in Houston’s Museum District—fertile soil for the interdisciplinary partnerships central to this school’s mission: to prepare an outstanding Montessori environment that fosters collaboration, cooperation and peace, and to provide experiences that promote curiosity, inquiry and engagement.
The High School building was newly constructed in 2016. Our Middle School building was constructed in the 1970s and completely remodeled in 2012. Both buildings are single story brick and glass-walled structures. Several walls are composed entirely of windows, allowing for daylight to flood the learning spaces throughout the day, creating an airy interior. The open floor plans give students and faculty vast flexibility to design and redesign the spaces. A number of closed rooms provide options for when a separated space is needed. In the Middle School, open areas are divided with furnishings and partitions resulting in dynamic and tailored spaces, perfect for small or large group meetings as needed.
At the High School, the science lab provides a space for on-site work that extends to work in labs at our partners, such as the Houston Museum of Natural Science just a 15-minute walk away. Our Museum District partnerships give us access not only to world-class physical resources, but also to world-class scientists, artists, and business people.
The High School's tinker lab is the place for hands-on physical investigations, explorations, and innovations. It is a “garage” of sorts where ideas and art can come to life. It is where science becomes engineering and concept becomes design.
- Programs: Middle School & High School
- Land: 1.6 acres
- Location: Houston Museum District
- Buildings: A renovated glass and masonry building (6,000 square feet) housing the Middle School and a new glass and masonry building (8,300 square feet) housing the High School designed to encourage 21st Century learning. Both include science labs, the Middle School houses an area for occupations learning, and the High School houses a makerspace for 3D work. The location serves as a doorway to the rich resources of the Museum District including partner institutions, businesses, theatres, and more.
1010 Autrey Street
Houston, Texas 77006