The Bearkats are The Post Oak School’s interscholastic sports teams. The teams compete against other area schools in a variety of sports such as basketball, cross-country, flag football, golf, soccer, track and field, and volleyball. Bearkats fields separate boys' and girls' teams at both the Middle School and High School levels.
Bearkats Sports Seasons
- Fall: cross-country running, flag football, volleyball
- Winter: basketball
- Spring: soccer, track and field, golf
Our Priorities with Athletics
- Improve fitness
- Learn skills
- Develop sportsmanship, to respect your own teammates, the other team and the referee
- Have fun playing with friends and classmates
- Learn to work together as a team
- Challenge yourself against worthy competition
- Play hard
- Build school spirit
- Win gracefully and lose gracefully. Winning is usually more fun, and we like to win; but the young athlete learns about life by experiencing both outcomes. In any event, winning is a lower priority than any of the preceding values.
Joining a Team
We encourage all eligible students in grades 7 through 12 to come out for the teams. Students must be in good standing in the classroom and must have been in attendance at the week’s practices in order to play at a game. It is our aim to give every player playing time, and playing time will be based on practice attendance and effort at practice. We practice and play after school three days per week, and assume that everyone on the team wants to be at every game and practice. We encourage full and consistent participation because that is better for both the individual player and the team.
Guidelines for Parents at Games
- Be encouraging; your presence alone communicates that clearly.
- Let the coach give instructions to the players during the game. When others shout instructions to players during the game, it is confusing.
- Model good sportsmanship for your child and the community.
- Appreciate the other team and the officials; without them, there is no game.
- Read the list of priorities above. These are the values we uphold with our student-athletes; we ask you to support them.
Show your Bearkats spirit with gear from our official online store. 15% of sales go back to our Athletic Department, so your purchases support the teams in many ways. Go Bearkats!
Concussions are a very real danger for all student-athletes. Our first and foremost priority is to be sure our students are safe. The CDC has an initiative called "Heads Up" through which they have created free tools and materials that provide important information on preventing, recognizing, and responding to a concussion. You can view more information about the program by clicking here.